Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Stir crazy

I am planning to fully recover before resuming running. This is proving to be harder than I anticipated. While I am enjoying having more time to do other activities (like spring cleaning), I am constantly worried, as the days pass, about losing my mileage base. I know there is still something wrong with my knee but it is killing me not getting out in the spring weather and bashing out a few miles. My trail shoes are calling me and it is getting harder and harder not to acquiesce even though I know this is what's best....I am cycling and have resumed a strength training regime but it is just not enough to satisfy me....hmmm

My first physio treatment with a TENS machine and ultrasound went really well. We isolated the problem and it isn't anything too serious. Just an inflamed infrapatellar fat pad (whatever that is...). I should be good to go in a few weeks with continued treatment, icing and regular non-stressing exercise.

In the meantime, I am working on my plans for my future challenges. Montreal or Chicago in the fall? Will my ticket come up for the New York marathon lottery? What big project am I gearing up for in 2010? 2010 is a hallmark year; Olympics in Canada, 5 years since I started training for my first marathon, another chance to run in Boston, and the need to do something different. Besides, 2010 is made up of nice round numbers...So what to do? I am thinking about organizing a run around the island of Montreal - my first calculation tells me it is in the ballpark of 120km. That could be quite an undertaking...and something to work on over the next 12 months....Any takers?

No comments: